Thursday 30 August 2012

African challenges

It is hard to believe it has been over a month since I have written. Africa Time!! I have heard this expression a lot since I have been here. Over the last month I have really started getting into my assignment. Trust is not something that is given, it is something that is earned over time. I can honestly say it has taken this much time to get into the assignment. I am on the ground here to effect positive change with household safety. Cooking is done on paraffin stoves, lighting in homes with no electricity is by candles and/or paraffin lamps. Paraffin is bought in local shops and taken home in 2 litre coke bottles or whatever is available. The easy part of the assignment is assessing the situation and identifying obvious changes needed and behaviours that need to change. Where I see great potential, hope and spirit is in the youth and children of the community and the Mamas of the community who want to make changes for their families.
After getting to know people and listening I engaged more broadly with the women of the townships. After discussing the best approach with Betty, the manager of the Thoughtful Path in Munsieville, we called a meeting to introduce me and my assignment more broadly across the community. The meeting was held on a patch of land in the township. The meeting was arranged by word of mouth and incredibly when I arrived at 5pm, 16 ladies joined myself and 20 min later there was a total of 69 and shortly after over 100. All of them are very interested and wanting to make necessary changes. 17 people volunteered to assist me directly. The next week I arranged a meeting with these 17 volunteers and 31 showed up. The enthusiasm to be involved, to be a part of the tide of change is fantastic and genuinely shows their concern for their communities and their children. For change to be sustainable these are the people that need to agree to the change and make it happen. It is all about empowerment to prioritise the changes needed and education on the best course of action. Check back soon for a report on the improvements in shack safety that are being made by these volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment